On occasion, I can get bored after working on the same project for just an hour. However, Tom Kenny and Bill Fagerbakke have been voicing SpongeBob and Patrick for nearly 16 years now yet it’s incredibly evident that they still love every second of it. In the new movie, The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out of Water, it’s business as usual in Bikini Bottom. SpongeBob (Kenny) is busy making Krabby Patties, Patrick’s (Fagerbakke) busy eating them and Plankton (Mr. Lawrence) is doing everything he can to steal the secret formula. When the recipe suddenly disappears, SpongeBob must join forces with Plankton to get it back before Bikini Bottom completely devolves into a post-apocalyptic nightmare.
With The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out of Water hitting theaters on February 6th, I was lucky enough to get to sit down with Kenny and Fagerbakke to discuss their experience making the movie and hear them turn their SpongeBob and Patrick voices on in an instant. You can catch that and what happened when one of my questions was hilariously misinterpreted in the video below.
Tom Kenny & Bill Fagerbakke:
- Is it still fun voicing the characters after so many years?
- On how challenging it was for the writers and animators to meet the deadline for this film.
- Is the recording process the same for TV and film?
- If SpongeBob made an ED commercial … really.
- Tricks they use to jump into character.