With all ten episodes of the third and final season of Da Vinci’s Demons being released tomorrow on Starz Play or On Demand (Starz will also air new episodes Saturday nights), I recently sat down with Tom Riley for a great video interview. During the extended conversation Riley talked about how season 3 compares to the first two, memorable moments from filming, what it’s really like filming nude scenes, if the story changed once they realized it was the final season, and more. In addition, Riley talked about getting to play Robin Hood on Doctor Who, upcoming projects like Kill Your Friends, Pushing Dead, and he also shared some advice about acting. Check it out below.
Before getting to the interview, here’s the official synopsis for Da Vinci’s Demons season 3.
“Leonardo da Vinci’s world comes crashing down when the city of Otranto is torn apart by an Ottoman invasion. On the battlefield, the Turks use da Vinci’s own weapons against him … the designs for which were stolen by someone he trusted. This betrayal will haunt Leo long after the battle is decided, as will the deaths of loved ones lost in the fighting. When Rome instigates a Crusade against the Turks, he seizes the opportunity to join, but his mission is complicated by a series of grisly murders that terrorize Italy and threaten the Crusade itself.”
- 0:00 – Plays “Save or Kill”
- 3:06 – How Season 3 compares to the first two seasons
- 3:43 – The serialized vs. movie-like approach
- 4:40 – Memorable moments from filming
- 5:18 – Filming uncomfortable scenes
- 5:51 – How the story changed once it was determined this would be the last season
- 6:26 – What he learned about da Vinci and his era
- 7:20 – What’s cooler: playing da Vinci or playing Robin Hood on Doctor Who?
- 8:10 – How is it to be involved with Doctor Who as a fan of the show
- 9:55 – If he “borrowed” anything from the Doctor Who set
- 10:31 – Upcoming projects: Kill Your Friends
- 11:19 – Upcoming projects: Pushing Dead
- 11:50 – Film 101: advice to up and coming actors
- 12:39 – How has his process changed as career progresses
- 14:14 – Return to TV? Network vs. cable
- 15:20 – Lending voice to Magic?
- 15:53 – More upcoming projects talk