There have been few spy movies in the past decade without a middle east centered plotline. The Double, starring Topher Grace, Richard Gere, and True Blood’s Stephen Moyer, is a throwback to the cold-war espionage films of the ’60s. When a US Senator’s murder bears the trademark of an infamous assassin, rookie FBI agent (Grace), must team up with a retired CIA operative (Gere) to find the killer’s whereabouts. But when true identities are called into question, each must decide who’s playing who.
At the film’s press day, I sat down with Grace and Moyer, who has a small but integral role as a Russian convict. After joking about their Internet habits, on-set pranks, and Moyer’s love of The West Wing (Martin Sheen plays a FBI honcho), we didn’t have time for much else. The two actors, who have a great banter, also discuss their favorite spy films and getting into character. Hit the jump for the full interview.
Topher Grace and Stephen Moyer
- 0:10 Topher confesses his love for Collider
- 1:00 Stephen Moyer getting into character
- 1:43 Stephen Moyere discusses a prank on the True Blood set
- 3:10 Stephen Moyer discusses typecasting
- 3:28 Topher talks about working with generous actors
- 4:16 Stephen Moyer’s love of Martin Sheen and The West Wing
- 4:58 Their favorite spy movies