On a conference call to discuss third-quarter earnings, Hasbro CEO Brian Goldner gave updates on a number of movies. While much of what he said we’ve previously written about, this was the first time anyone had given an update on the status of Transformers 4 and when it might be officially announced. Here’s the highlights of his conversation:
- Goldner hopes to be able to announce Transformers 4 next quarter as they are talking with Steven Spielberg, Michael Bay and Paramount.
- The Ouija script is “in good shape and is being polished now, meaning that the film could be back with a studio shortly.” via THR. We previously posted how Universal dropped the project but maybe with a lower budget the film could move ahead.
- A Micronauts movie script is being written with J.J. Abrams producing and it’s set up at Paramount. We’ve know this for awhile.
- Goldner doesn’t see Hasbro producing their own films like Marvel.
- Hasbro is still developing movie scripts for Monopoly, Risk, Clue, Stretch Armstrong and Candyland.
With every kid growing up playing Hasbro board games and name recognition being so important in marketing, it’s no surprise the studios are trying to make these projects work. However, many of these board games seem like long shots to ever hit the screen. The big info is Transformers 4. With Bay saying the 3rd Transformers movie would be his last, who will Hasbro get to replace him? Matt wrote about the six directors who could take over the franchise. I think a few of them would be great choices.