LAIKA’s awesome 3D stop-motion feature, ParaNorman is now playing in theaters. Directed by Chris Butler and Sam Fell, the film centers on a young boy who can see the dead and must use this gift to lift a curse that threatens his small town. ParaNorman features the voices of Kodi-Smit McPhee, Anna Kendrick, Christopher Mintz-Plasse, John Goodman, Casey Affleck, Leslie Mann, Jodelle Ferland and more. For more on the film, here’s six clips, a very cool featurette called Time Lapse, and all our previous coverage.
At the recent Los Angeles press day I spoke to Travis Knight (President & CEO of LAIKA). We talked about making ParaNorman, the fact that he’s the head of the studio and still an animator, how they decide who animates what section of each film, the challenge of doing a movie for all ages but also having zombies and scary moments, the next project at LAIKA, and a lot more. Hit the jump to watch.
- How did the project get off the ground and how did it become a priority for the studio
- Talks about how not only is he the head of the studio, he’s also an animator
- How do they decide who animates what
- The technical challenges of making ParaNorman
- Talks about the challenge of doing a film for all ages but also having zombies and scary moments. What did the look at for inspiration
- What is the next project at LAIKA. Says they will announce by end of year