In a massively attended panel, the cast and creator of the ever-popular HBO series True Blood teased audience members with scenes from the current season and hints about upcoming seasons. Attended by Anna Paquin, Stephen Moyer and Alan Ball, as well as Alexander Skarsgard (Eric Northman), Ryan Kwanten (Jason Stackhouse), Rutina Wesley (Tara Thornton), Nelsan Ellis (Lafayette), Deborah Ann Woll (Jessica Hamby), Kristin Bauer van Straten (Pam) and Kevin Alejandro (Jesus), the cast took fan questions as well as shedding some light on some interesting turns we can expect in the quaint town of Bon Temps. Hit the jump to check out the Q&A.
[Update: HBO has uploaded a new trailer. Watch it after the break.]
Without giving away any spoilers from the new trailer they showed, let me just say that there are some crazy scenes along the lines of what you’ve come to expect from the series. It opened with Sookie toting a shotgun and stalking something through a foggy graveyard and there may or may not have been a crowd-pleasing pseudo-sex scene between Paquin and Skarsgard. (Ball later confessed that a shower scene from the book between Eric and Sookie would be occurring this season, but as a weirder and dirtier version than Harris’ writing.)
[Update: The trailer is now embedded below.]
The cast was pretty tight-lipped about major plot points that will turn up this season, reflecting more on the changes their individual characters have gone through in the year or so that Sookie had been missing. Wesley is happy to see her character Tara smiling again, Kwanten enjoyed the gang rape by werepanthers much more than his character Jason did and Skarsgard confessed that the witch’s spell that stole Eric’s memory also made him forget to wear shirts.
Aside from character revelations, Alan Ball did give us some tidbits about the future of True Blood:
- We will find out why the old doll is so creepy and what that has to do with Arlene’s baby (which the audience seems to believe is evil).
- Ball wouldn’t confirm whether or not Eric will regain his memory this season.
- Season 5 will feature a scene showing how Eric made his progeny Pam
- When asked about how the death of Sookie’s fairy godmother Claudia would affect Sookie’s powers, Ball only said, “In the books, fairies are born in litters and they’re identical.”
- When asked how long they can maintain the pace of one book per season, Ball replied that he’d “welcome the challenge in the writers’ room of explaining why their vampires seemed to be aging.”
- A new business establishment (similar to Hooligans strip club in the novels) will be making an appearance in season 5 for “completely twisted and supernatural purposes”
- When asked what other supernatural creatures would be featured in upcoming seasons, Ball said that in this season we will see “disembodied spirits, you can call them ghosts, and more of this brujo/demon/wicked creature we’ve seen flashes of. We’re also doing research on more supernatural creatures for season 5.”
Click here for all our Comic-Con 2011 coverage.