One of the movies under most people’s radar is director Wes Ball‘s The Maze Runner. Based on the James Dashner’s young adult novel of the same name, the story centers on a group of teens who appear in an area known as “The Glade” but have no memory when they wake up. The only way out appears to be through a shifting maze of massive walls that harbor dangerous creatures known as Grievers. Only one of the teens, Thomas (Dylan O’Brien), holds the secret to their escape. With the film hitting theaters February 14, 2014, you can expect a trailer in the coming months, and a lot more info on the film. Until then…you’ll just have to trust me when I say it’s a film that could be very cool.
Last weekend at Comic-Con, I landed an exclusive video interview with producer Wyck Godfrey. He talked about how he got involved in the project, the franchise potential, Easter Eggs, when will we see a trailer, the difficult shoot, filming on location, being at Comic-Con, and a lot more. In addition, he talked about The Fault in Our Stars, and confirms an ultimate box set of the Twilight movies is coming (he produced all the Twilight films) that will be loaded with new material fans haven’t seen. Hit the jump to watch.
Note: If you’re just here for the Twilight news, it’s at the end of the interview below.
- :09 – The Comic-Con experience.
- :30 – What was it about the material that got him involved? He loved that it was about a group of boys and was intrigued by the central mystery.
- 2:11 – He already knew the book before he signed on because his kids loved it.
- 2:44 – Franchise potential. How much are they dropping in Easter Eggs for future films in The Maze Runner?
- 4:02 – When will other marketing materials be released? They plan to have a teaser trailer out in a month or two.
- 4:30 – Talks about feeling inadequate in his nerdiness when coming to Comic-Con.
- 4:53 – Dylan O’Brien cuts into the interview to say his goodbyes to Godfrey.
- 6:02 – The big surprises from the difficult shoot. He says there’s an energy on location, but stagework is the most difficult.
- 7:00 – Future projects. Talks The Fault in Our Stars.
- 7:29 – The ultimate Twilight Blu-ray set and what might be on it. Says they have tons of behind-the-scenes footage that hasn’t been released.