One of the best films I saw at this year’s Sundance Film festival was director Vincenzo Natali’s Splice. Starring Adrien Brody and Sarah Polley as genetic scientists that create a new life form with severe consequences, the film is original, dark, twisted, and it looks like a Hollywood produced film. That’s probably why Joel Silver agreed to distribute Splice through his Dark Castle label (via Warner Bros.) on June 4th. Trust me, the film is absolutely worth seeing.
Anyway, a few days ago I was at WonderCon and got to speak with Vincenzo Natali. We discussed what edits he’s made since Sundance, how the film came together, how Joel Silver got involved, some possible next projects like High Rise and Tunnels, and a lot more. Watch it after the jump:
And before watching the interview, I suggest checking out the trailer. It’s very well cut.
- What are the edits from Sundance to what is coming out in theaters – says nothing major has changed
- 1:30 – What was his Sundance experience like
- 3:05 – Talks about how he came up with the design for the film
- 5:00 – What does he have coming up – talks about High Rise (he calls it a social disaster film)
- 5:55 – Tunnels talk
- 6:15 – Says the reason Splice got picked up is due to the positive buzz
- 6:55 – Talks about Joel Silver and how he got involved