With Paul W.S. Anderson’s 2008 remake of Death Race having success at the worldwide box office and on home video, Universal decided to make a prequel and they’re releasing it this week under the banner of “DVD Originals from Universal Studios Home Entertainment Productions.” While the remake starred Jason Statham as Jensen Ames, the prequel stars Luke Goss, Sean Bean, Tanit Phoenix, and Danny Trejo. The film is an origin story for the character of Frankenstein.
Anyway, I recently got to speak with most of the cast and after the jump you can watch my interview with Ving Rhames. In Death Race 2, Rhames plays the head of a the media company that airs the race (he’s like a Rupert Murdock). During the interview we talked about how he got ready for the movie, what kind of research he does, what films do people always want to talk to him about, the Blu-ray cover for the film, future projects like Dying to Live, and a lot more. Hit the jump to watch:
- He points out the cover for the Blu-ray isn’t really what the film is about
- After being in so many movies, does he still do a lot of research for roles
- How did he prepare to play the leader of a multibillion dollar media conglomerate
- Did someone say politics?
- They filmed in South Africa. If he went back tomorrow, what would be the one thing he would do
- What are the films people always want to talk to him about
- Has he ever been asked to record an answering machine message in a certain voice
- Was he sad that he didn’t get to fire the weapons in the movie
- Talks about a film he just wrapped on called Dying to Live