If there’s one thing you can almost always count on in a horror movie, it’s a body count, but the way those bodies pile up is infinitely varied. Kill scenes can be funny, devastating, scary, disgusting, and horrific, but some movies opt to settle on plain old weird. Stabbings are the standard, suffocations are a dime a dozen; machetes, crossbows, and hatchets all dominate the genre, but plenty of films and franchises aren’t content to rely on the standbys.
Particularly in the decades since slasher films started placing an emphasis on effects-driven kill sequences, and franchising created a need to best the previous set-pieces with each subsequent film. Then came the so-called “torture porn” era, and suddenly coming up with novel, twisted ways to kill a character on camera became a booming industry. With filmmakers clamoring for ways to shock and awe desensitized audiences, there’s abundance of unusual implements of death to be found in modern horror, so I’ve compiled a number of my favorite strange kills for your viewing pleasure…or. Watch what made the cut in the video below, and this feels like a silly thing to say given the the name of the vide, but it’s about to get very spoilery and R-rated. Let’s get weird with it.
Sound off in the comments with your favorite weird kills and catch up with some of our other horror coverage below:
- 13 Great Horror Movies to Watch on Halloween That Aren’t ‘Halloween’
- ‘Halloween’ Movies Ranked from Worst to Best
- ‘A Nightmare on Elm Street’ Movies Ranked From Worst to Best
- ‘Friday the 13th’ Movies Ranked From Worst to Best
- ‘Texas Chainsaw Massacre’ Movies Ranked from Worst to Best
- Spooky Flicks: 5 Films That Scared the Hell Out of Me
- Kill Me Two Times: 6 Horror Movie Sequels Worthy of the Originals