When I first heard director Werner Herzog and Nicolas Cage were going to make a remake/re-imagining /reboot of Abel Ferrara’s insane 1992 film Bad Lieutenant, I’ll admit I wasn’t excited. For some reason I thought they’d fuck it up or the movie would be another Nicolas Cage performance where he was just going through the motions
I couldn’t have been more wrong. The fact is, Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans is a great movie featuring one of Nicolas Cage’s best performances. He’s absolutely fearless; it’s like he stepped back in time to when he was an up-and-coming actor with nothing to lose. If you want to see a great performance, you need not go any further Nicolas Cage’s latest role.
So when I sat down to talk with director Werner Herzog, we discussed how he got involved, working with Cage, how he shot a lot of the movie using just a few takes, what he has coming up, and with this being Werner Herzog, he said some quotes that must be heard. It’s a great interview with a filmmaker I truly admire. Watch it after the jump:
- I tell him how much I loved the movie and ask when did he come up with the movie. Talks about how fast this project came together.
- I tell him thank you for bringing the great Nic Cage back and we talk about his performance
- Talks about how most of the movie was done on just a few takes. Also how he didn’t shoot a lot of coverage.
- Did he delete a lot of footage and does he like extended cuts on DVD
- What did it mean to have 2 films in Toronto. He says it meant more to have 2 films in Venice
- What’s up with My Son, My Son, What Have You Done
- 8:15 – What is he going to do next. Gives a great answer
- Says he has 5 or 6 feature film projects and 2 or 3 documentary projects he wants to do
- Does he want to do doc than feature and back again. How does he pick
- What does he think of digital filmmaking and 3D
- I try and find out what he is going to do next and he says he is about to leave for Jordan to see if a film he is planning is doable but doesn’t want to talk specifics until he knows if it is