Opening this weekend is Will Ferrell’s Spanish language comedy Casa de mi Padre. The film centers on Ferrell as Armando Alvarez, a Mexican rancher who must save his family’s farm while simultaneously fending off the drug lord, Onza, played by Gael Garcia Bernal (The Motorcycle Diaries) and winning the hand of the lovely Sonia, played by Genesis Rodriguez (Man on a Ledge). As Dave said, to sum it up in just a few words: passion, adventure, intrigue, betrayal, sex, danger, romance, guns, cigarettes, special effects and slaps. The film also stars Diego Luna, Efren Ramirez and Nick Offerman. For more on the film, here’s fourteen clips, Matt’s review, and a fifteen-minute making of featurette.
Recently, I got to speak with Will Ferrell. During the interview he talked about the genesis of the project and why he decided to do a Spanish-language film, how the Spanish affected his improv process, karaoke, and future projects like Step Brothers 2 (they’re going to start writing a script really soon with the hope of filming it in the fall), Anchorman 2 (it’s still dead), and The Campaign with Zach Galifianakis. Hit the jump to watch.
- :16 His go-to karaoke song. Talks about “Total Eclipse of the Heart”
- 1:11 The genesis of the project and why he decided to do a Spanish-language film.
- 2:09 How the Spanish affected his improv process on the film. Says he was unable to do any improvisation but he had to react to the Spanish-speaking actors
- 3:02 Step Brothers 2. Says he and Adam McKay are on the verge of hopefully doing that. (I got more from him after the interview ended.)
- 3:19 Says Anchorman 2 is still dead as far as he knows.
- 3:35 Talks The Campaign with Zach Galifianakis. Says it’s gonna come out right before the presidential conventions in August.