With director M. Night Shyamalan’s After Earth opening this weekend, Sony Pictures invited us to the Virgin Galactic Spaceport in New Mexico for the press junket. As you can imagine, it was an amazing place to talk about the movie. If you’re not familiar with the plot, After Earth stars Will Smith and Jaden Smith as a father and son who crash land on a post-apocalyptic Earth, and it’s up to the son to fight for survival when the father is seriously injured. For more on the film, watch three clips and some behind-the-scenes footage. After Earth also stars Sophie Okonedo and Zoe Kravitz.
During our interview with Will Smith, he talked about how After Earth is the first film on which he’s received a “Story By” credit, how the project changed along the way, getting to work with his son, how the project came together, doing press at the Virgin Spaceport, and more. In addition, I’ve heard rumblings that Smith is done with the Men in Black franchise, so I asked him the status of a Men in Black 4. The way he talked about the franchise, it sounds like he’s cool with the third film being the last installment. Hit the jump to watch.
- I mention how amazing the matte paintings are
- True or False: He would only do the movie if the junket was at the Virgin Spaceport
- How After Earth is the first time he’s gotten a Story By credit
- How did the story come together and the way it’s a father/son story
- How did the story change during the development process
- Is he going to make Men in Black 4