20th Century Fox has unveiled a new behind-the-scenes featurette for the highly anticipated sequel X-Men: Apocalypse, offering a deeper look at the movie’s team of villainous mutants led by Oscar Isaac’s titular baddie. Bryan Singer returns to direct this 80s-set story, which finds James McAvoy’s heroes facing their biggest threat yet in the form of Apocalypse, a centuries-old mutant who awakens to find himself displeased with mutants’ place in the world. His solution? Wipe out humanity and start again. But to enact this plan, Apocalypse needs some help, so he enlists his Four Horsemen, a team of villainous mutants that includes Michael Fassbender’s Magneto, Alexandra Shipp’s Storm, Ben Hardy’s Angel, and Olivia Munn’s Psylocke.
This new featurette take a closer look at the Four Horsemen while showing off some snippets of new footage, and Singer looks to be taking full advantage of the visual flourishes that come with using this particular set of mutants. When I spoke with Shipp on the set of Apocalypse last year, she revealed that Storm is present when Apocalypse first wakes up in 1980s Egypt, so I’m curious to see the character’s rapport with his collection of mutant baddies.
Check out the new featurette below, followed by links to my extensive set visit coverage. The film also stars Jennifer Lawrence, Nicholas Hoult, Sophie Turner, Tye Sheridan, Rose Byrne, Evan Peters, Lucas Till, Kodi Smit-McPhee, Josh Helman, and Lana Candor. X-Men: Apocalypse opens in theaters on May 27th.
- ‘X-Men: Apocalypse': Over 75 Things to Know about the Epic Superhero Sequel
- Tye Sheridan and Kodi Smit-McPhee on Playing Young Cyclops and Nightcrawler
- Evan Peters on Topping the Quicksilver Sequence, Magneto and More
- Simon Kinberg on Shared Universes, Telling Scott and Jean’s Origins, and More
- Olivia Munn on Psylocke’s Powers, Provocative Costume, and a Potential Spinoff
- Bryan Singer Reflects on ‘X-Men 1′, Talks the Evolution of the Superhero Genre
- New Timeline Explained by Bryan Singer and Simon Kinberg
- Bryan Singer on the Villain’s Powers, Costume, and Casting Oscar Isaac
- ‘X-Men: Apocalypse': How Did They Decide Which Mutants to Include?
- Michael Fassbender on Working with Oscar Isaac, Becoming a Horseman
Here’s the official synopsis for X-Men: Apocalypse:
Following the critically acclaimed global smash hit X-Men: Days of Future Past, director Bryan Singer returns with X-MEN: APOCALYPSE. Since the dawn of civilization, he was worshipped as a god. Apocalypse, the first and most powerful mutant from Marvel’s X-Men universe, amassed the powers of many other mutants, becoming immortal and invincible. Upon awakening after thousands of years, he is disillusioned with the world as he finds it and recruits a team of powerful mutants, including a disheartened Magneto (Michael Fassbender), to cleanse mankind and create a new world order, over which he will reign. As the fate of the Earth hangs in the balance, Raven (Jennifer Lawrence) with the help of Professor X (James McAvoy) must lead a team of young X-Men to stop their greatest nemesis and save mankind from complete destruction.