While lots of X-Fans were thrilled to finally get a live-action look at Bryan Singer’s X-Men: Apocalypse in the film’s first trailer, those of us who grew up on Marvel’s “X-Men” comics and Fox’s animated X-Men series in the 1990s might still be concerned at just how well the title villain will come across on screen. With that in mind, fan and YouTube user Phillysteak has cut a new version of the trailer that swaps in the animated heroes and villains for their live-action counterparts.
The plan was to use the 90s series to match up to Singer’s version, and it’s surprisingly well done. There’s still something about the trailer itself that just doesn’t work for me, but I much prefer this animated version with its bold colors and nostalgia-pleasing character design. Sure, it’s missing John Colicos’ amazing voice for Apocalypse, but so is Singer’s version. And if the live-action flick features actual metal horses for Apocalypse’s Four Horsemen to ride like this trailer did, I’ll laugh myself silly in the middle of the theater.
Watch the new fan-made animated trailer for X-Men: Apocalypse (via CBR):
And for a comparison, watch the live-action version below:
Here’s the official synopsis for X-Men: Apocalypse, which will land in theaters May 27th, 2016:
Since the dawn of civilization, he was worshiped as a god. Apocalypse, the first and most powerful mutant from Marvel’s X-Men universe, amassed the powers of many other mutants, becoming immortal and invincible. Upon awakening after thousands of years, he is disillusioned with the world as he finds it and recruits a team of powerful mutants, including a disheartened Magneto (Michael Fassbender), to cleanse mankind and create a new world order, over which he will reign. As the fate of the Earth hangs in the balance, Raven (Jennifer Lawrence) with the help of Professor X (James McAvoy) must lead a team of young X-Men to stop their greatest nemesis and save mankind from complete destruction.
Here are a few of our recent stories on X-Men: Apocalypse for you to peruse:
- ‘X-Men: Apocalypse’: Bryan Singer on Which of the Four Horsemen Makes the Best Emoji
- ‘X-Men: Apocalypse’: Bryan Singer Breaks Down the New Trailer with Quicksilver Details, More
- ‘X-Men: Apocalypse’: Over 40 Images from the New Trailer Showcase Archangel, Psylocke, and More
- First ‘X-Men: Apocalypse’ Trailer Reveals the Beginning of the End
- ‘X-Men Apocalypse’: Professor X Dons Cerebro in New Teaser Trailer Image
- Evan Peters on ‘American Horror Story: Hotel’ and the ‘X-Men: Apocalypse’ Quicksilver Scene