While Zach Galifianakis has been working in Hollywood for over a decade, due to co-starring in the biggest R rated comedy of all time (The Hangover), he’s now a household name. Even my parents know who he is. With the kind of success he’s had over the past year, it would be easy for him to play the same role again and again. But that’s not who Galifianakis is, as he still does Between Two Ferns, Bored to Death, and he’s also starring in Focus Features It’s Kind of a Funny Story (which gets released tomorrow) as a patient in a psychiatric hospital.
Since I’ve interviewed Galifianakis before, I knew walking in that whatever plan I had for a line of questioning would definitely be altered, and I needed to be prepared for the unexpected. Thankfully, while the interview did take a lot of left and right turns, we did manage to talk about why he wanted to play this part and what kind of research went into the role.
Of course…we also talked about being stalking celebrities like Colin Firth, and is he looking forward to filming The Hangover 2 in Thailand. Hit the jump to see what he had to say:
If you missed the trailer for It’s Kind of a Funny Story, you can watch it by clicking here. And one last thing…this interview was recorded at the Toronto International Film Festival, but I decided to wait to post it till the movie was actually getting released. That’s why some of our conversation is about TIFF.
- We start by talking about the junket for The Hangover
- What’s being at TIFF like for him
- Where are the celebrities talk
- Zack wants to stalk Colin Firth
- Did he sign onto this film because it was different than his other projects
- What kind of research did he do – we might have crossed a line with this one….
- Is he looking forward to filming in Thailand for Hangover 2