Odds are you know Adam Horovitz as Ad-Rock from the Beastie Boys, but it turns out, he’s actually buddies with writer-director Noah Baumbach and when he was casting up for his latest feature, While We’re Young, Baumbach offered him one of the roles in the film. Horovitz steps in as Fletcher, a soon-to-be dad who’s best friends with Josh (Ben Stiller) and Cornelia (Naomi Watts). While Fletcher and his wife Marina (Maria Dizzia) are gearing up to become parents, Josh and Cornelia are out to relive the good old days by hanging out with two fun-loving, free-spirited 25-year-olds (Adam Driver and Amanda Seyfried) instead.
In honor of While We’re Young’s March 27th limited release, Horovitz hit the New York City press circuit to talk about his experience making the film. In our exclusive interview, he discussed how he got involved, what it was like working on While We’re Young compared to his 1992 release Roadside Prophets, if he plans to continue acting and more. You can check it all out in the video interview below.
- 00:00 – Movie press days vs. music press days.
- 00:28 – Knowing Baumbach for a long time and being asked to be in the movie.
- 00:48 – Doing some movies back in the 80s and 90s and why he returned to acting now.
- 01:12 – How he prepped for the film.
- 02:00 – Adding one too many “ums” and “likes” to the dialogue.
- 02:42 – Working with Ben Stiller and Naomi Watts.
- 03:31 – Is the baby in the film a real baby?
- 03:58 – How Baumbach gave him notes in between takes on set.
- 04:21 – His experience working on While We’re Young compared to Roadside Prophets back in the 90s.
- 05:00 – Will Horovitz keep acting?
- 05:36 – Will Horovitz do more work as a composer on narrative features?
- 05:46 – How Horovitz relates to his character in the movie.
- 06:35 – On Baumbach not calling “action.”