Maze Runner: The Death Cure isn’t the only 20th Century Fox film getting a new release date. The studio also announced a couple of new release dates as well as some shifting that’s taking place for previously announced films. The biggest one is the long-developing Alita: Battle Angel, which will hit theaters on July 20, 2018. We here at Collider exclusively revealed that Maze Runner actress Rosa Salazar had landed the lead of the picture yesterday, and the film has Robert Rodriguez directing and James Cameron producing. Cameron had initially intended to direct Battle Angel, but now that he’s making four (!) Avatar sequels, he’s a little busy.
The film currently has the July 20th weekend all to itself, but will open a week before Warner Bros.’ Aquaman movie, to be directed by James Wan.
Additionally, Fox has moved The Nice Guys writer/director Shane Black’s next film, The Predator. The highly anticipated sequel will now open on February 9, 2018 instead of March 2nd, which feels like Fox trying to mimic the success of Deadpool on that pre-Valentine’s Day weekend. That puts Predator up directly against Universal’s trilogy-capping Fifty Shades Freed, resulting in a serious battle of the sexes at the box office that weekend. Black intends to make The Predator an event film with an R-rating, so hopes are high for the blockbuster.
The studio has also set a November 10, 2017 release date for the former David Fincher project Red Sparrow. Last we heard, Jennifer Lawrence was eyeing the Russian spy story as a potential re-team with her Hunger Games director Francis Lawrence, but cast and director information has yet to be confirmed. With this release date set, however, it sounds like Fox has things figured out.
In lieu of these other changes, Fox has also shifted a couple of other titles—including two undisclosed Fox/Marvel pictures—which you can see below. Click on the links for more information on each film:
- Morgan (directed by Luke Scott) – September 2, 2016
- Keeping Up with the Joneses (directed by Greg Mottola) – October 21, 2016
- Rules Don’t Apply (directed by Warren Beatty) – November 11, 2016
- A Cure for Wellness (directed by Gore Verbinski) – Moves from March 24, 2017 to February 27, 2017.
- Murder on the Orient Express (directed by Kenneth Branagh) – Moves from November 10, 2017 to November 22, 2017
- Untitled Fox/Marvel – Moves from January 12, 2018 to March 2, 2018
- Untitled Fox/Marvel – Moves from July 13, 2018 to June 29, 2018