With Matt Reeves’ Dawn of the Planet of the Apes arriving on DVD and Blu-ray December 2nd, I got the opportunity to sit down with Andy Serkis to talk about the film. As I’ve said again and again, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes is easily one of my favorite films of 2014. It’s the rare commercial movie that’s deep and thoughtful and it’s also atypical in that it tells a complete story while keeping the door open for another sequel.
During the interview Serkis talked about the reception of Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, the challenges of performance capture, the status of the next sequel, the surprise of being included in the Avengers: Age of Ultron trailer, what it was like working for J.J. Abrams on Star Wars: The Force Awakens, his version of The Jungle Book, and more. Hit the jump to check out what he said and click here to pre-order the Blu-ray on Amazon.
- 0:31 – On the fantastic reception the films have been getting.
- 1:23 – Discusses the challenges of performance capture.
- 2:38 – Talks about the year he’s having with Avengers: Age of Ultron, Star Wars and The Jungle Book.
- 3:36 – Discusses his surprise at being in the Avengers: Age of Ultron trailer given that it’s a small role.
- 4:14 – Talks about meeting Matt Reeves to discuss the third Apes installment.
- 4:55 – On working for J.J. Abrams on the new Star Wars, which “has a lot of heart.”
- 5:34 – Give a small update on The Jungle Book.