With director Robert Schwentke’s Divergent sequel, Insurgent, opening this weekend, I recently sat down with Ansel Elgort. During the interview he talked about how he’s been spending a lot of time at home in Brooklyn making music, what it was like on set on the sequel, who ruined the most takes from laughing, how Edgar Wright’s Baby Driver starts filming later this year, and more.
In The Divergent Series: Insurgent, the second in what will be a four-film adaptation of author Veronica Roth’s dystopian sci-fi series, the principal characters are on the run in the fringes of society and searching for answers after breaking open the world as they knew it. The film stars Shailene Woodley, Theo James, Kate Winslet, Naomi Watts, Octavia Spencer, Jai Courtney, Miles Teller, Daniel Dae Kim, Maggie Q, Ray Stevenson, and Zoe Kravitz. For more on the film, watch the trailers.
Here’s Elgort followed by bullet points of what we talked about.
- How if he doesn’t shake hands it looks bad.
- What has the last year been like for him? Talks about spending time making music at home in Brooklyn.
- What was it like on set making Insurgent compared to the first film?
- Working with the great cast.
- Who ruined the most takes from laughing?
- When does he start filming Edgar Wright’s Baby Driver?