With Captain America: The Winter Solider currently the number one movie around the world, it’s finally time to share some of the filmmaker interviews that get into the spoilers of the film. At the recent Los Angeles press day, I landed a regular TV interview with directors Joe and Anthony Russo where they talked about being comic book geeks, the difficulty of balancing the Marvel sequel’s action with the character moments, if they read the message boards or comments sections to get an idea of what the fans wanted to see, whether they fought over any ideas, Captain America 3, and more. You can watch that interview right here.
However, the day after that interview, we sat down in their hotel room for an extended conversation that got into specific plot points from The Winter Soldier. During this interview they talked about how much of the story came from Marvel, which scenes were “plussed,” Robert Redford’s role and developing his character, the mid-credits and post-credits scenes, deleted scenes, their first cut, a plot point involving Nick Fury, the exposition bunker scene, and a lot more. If you loved Captain America: The Winter Solider, you’re going to enjoy hearing about how it all came together. Hit the jump to watch.
Finally, click here if you missed what screenwriters Christopher Markus and Stephen McFeely said Captain America 3. And here are my video interviews with Scarlett Johansson, Chris Evans, Kevin Feige, Samuel L. Jackson, Sebastian Stan, and Anthony Mackie.
- 0:25 – They talk about the progress of the script from start to finish, how much came from Marvel directly, and how much they added.
- 2:30 – They comment on the scenes that were “plussed” for the film, and mention other films that have influenced scenes in Captain America: The Winter Soldier.
- 5:20 – Regarding Robert Redford’s role and dramatic arc, they talk about the process of developing his character and why Redford was perfect for the role.
- 6:25 – They talk more about casting Redford and expanding the role to fit him.
- 7:55 – They comment specifically on a scene in which Redford shows his character’s true nature and their goal to surprise the audience.
- 8:35 – They talk about the mid-credits and post-credits scenes, the decision to fill out the ending of the film, and what to use for a tag scene.
- 10:00 – They talk about the length of their first cut and emphasize how much work went into figuring out the script before starting production.
- 10:35 – They say there will be about five minutes of deleted scenes on the eventual Blu-ray, and expand on a deleted scene between Scarlett Johansson and Samuel L. Jackson.
- 12:15 – With regard to Nick Fury’s injured eye, they explain the logic behind being able to scan it.
- 14:00 – They comment on the bunker scene with Arnim Zola, using it to get exposition across, and loosening the restraints of reality for the scene.