Shots of Michael Fassbender in costume as 15th century assassin Aguilar may sell the action in Justin Kurzel’s Assassin’s Creed, but he also plays the very contemporary character of Callum Lynch in the movie. This divide between worlds and personalities is a huge part of the Assassin’s Creed video game franchise mythos. How it will play out in the big-screen adaptation remains to be seen, but if the images are any indication, there will be quite the visual distinction between the character’s disparate worlds.
A new look from the Ubisoft movie shows off Fassbender as Lynch, who’s confined to the prison cell we glimpsed in an earlier batch of images. This one happens to show the artistic side–or lack thereof-of Lynch as he sketches out various faces and other vague shapes. Perhaps this is an indication of the “Bleeding Effect” that occurs when Lynch’s time-crossed memories begin to merge, as seen in the games. It’s a nice nod back to the source material.
Check out the new look at Assassin’s Creed below, courtesy of Ubisoft’s blog:
And here’s a close-up on some of Lynch’s artwork:
Also starring Marion Cotillard, Brendan Gleeson, Jeremy Irons, Michael Kenneth Williams, and Brian Gleeson, Assassin’s Creed opens December 21st. Here’s the film’s official synopsis:
Through a revolutionary technology that unlocks his genetic memories, Callum Lynch (Michael Fassbender) experiences the adventures of his ancestor, Aguilar, in 15th Century Spain. Callum discovers he is descended from a mysterious secret society, the Assassins, and amasses incredible knowledge and skills to take on the oppressive and powerful Templar organization in the present day.
For more on Assassin’s Creed, be sure to check out our most recent coverage below:
- Why No New ‘Assassin’s Creed’ in 2016 Is a Good Thing
- Michael Fassbender Likens ‘Assassin’s Creed’ to ‘The Matrix’; Stresses Practical Stunts
- ‘Assassin’s Creed’ Wraps Production; Michael Fassbender Poses with Cast & Crew
- ‘Assassin’s Creed’: See Michael Fassbender’s Past and Present in New Images
- ‘Assassin’s Creed’: Michael Fassbender Dons the Hood in New Image
- ‘Assassin’s Creed’ Viral Marketing Amps Up; Trailer Debut Date Possibly Revealed