Before Star Wars: The Force Awakens arrived in theaters, I noticed a few people talking about whether BB-8 was a boy or a girl. Some were speculating that the gender of the droid was a spoiler, while others were certain the newest droid in the Star Wars universe was a boy. While I think all of the droids in the Star Wars universe are gender neutral, I think one of the reasons people were focusing on BB-8s gender was the lack of information before The Force Awakens arrived in theaters. If you think back to just a few weeks ago, no one knew the plot of Episode 7 and most of us walked into our local theater unsure of what was about to happen.
When I attended the Star Wars: The Force Awakens press junket, I hadn’t seen the film and I knew everyone I was going to talk with would be extremely guarded with their answers and what they could say. Since BB-8 has been a huge part of the marketing of the film and everyone seems to be in love with the droid, I decided to ask director J.J. Abrams and cast members Harrison Ford, John Boyega, Daisy Ridley, Adam Driver, Oscar Isaac, Lupita Nyong’o and Gwendoline Christie if BB-8 was a boy or a girl. Check out what they had to say below:
For more on The Force Awakens, peruse our recent links below.
- Watch the ‘Star Wars: The Force Awakens’ Cast Answer Who Shot First, Han or Greedo?
- ‘Star Wars: The Force Awakens’: Who Are Rey’s Parents?
- ‘Star Wars: The Force Awakens’: The Many Problems with Maz Kanata
- ‘Star Wars: The Force Awakens’: J.J. Abrams Explains That Deleted Scene with Maz and the Lightsaber
- ‘Star Wars: The Force Awakens’: Here’s How Anakin Skywalker Almost Appeared