With the boxing drama Bleed for This opening this weekend, I sat down with writer-director Ben Younger (Boiler Room) a few days ago to talk about making the film. If you’re not familiar with this incredible true story, after winning two world title fights and shooting to stardom, Vinny “The Pazmanian Devil” Pazienza (played by Miles Teller) was in a brutal car wreck that left him with a broken neck and was told that he may never walk again. Against all odds and doctor’s orders, renowned trainer Kevin Rooney (played by Aaron Eckhart) agrees to help Vinny return to the ring, just a year after the accident, for what could be the last fight of his life. Bleed for This also stars Katey Sagal and Ciarán Hinds as Pazienza’s parents. The film was produced by Bruce Cohen and Martin Scorsese (full list of producers here).
During the interview, Younger talked about the challenges of only having 24 days to make the movie, doing 87 setups on the first day of filming, how they almost couldn’t get the bond to insure the film, why they had to pull back on the truth to make it believable, his next movie, The Isle of Man, which is about the oldest motor race on Earth, and a lot more.
Check out what he had to say in the video above and below is exactly what we talked about followed by some images.
- When is someone going to make the story of his life?
- How did they shot the movie in only 24 days?
- How they did 87 setups on the first day of filming.
- He explains how they almost didn’t get the bond to make the movie.
- How they pulled back on some of the truth because people wouldn’t believe it.
- Talks about his next movie, The Isle of Man, which is about the oldest motor race on Earth.