Black Panther had a dominant opening weekend where it was able beat out Avengers: Age of Ultron. Now the latest MCU movie is doing even better than the original The Avengers. Disney just sent out its latest estimates, and Black Panther pulled in $14.3 million on Thursday, which is the best Thursday ever for an MCU title as The Avengers only pulled in $12.4 million. That brings, in less than a week, Black Panther’s domestic total to $292 million. That’s a bigger first week than The Avengers had ($270 million). That means you’ve got a movie that people not only want to see, and told their friends to see, but a movie people are seeing more than once.
That bodes very well for Black Panther’s second weekend. While Game Night and Annihilation are both good movies, Black Panther will likely dominate again. Even if it only has a traditional 53% drop (which is typical of other Marvel titles), the movie will still make somewhere between $85-95 million over the weekend, which will put it close to $400 million domestic in just 10 days. At this rate, and with not much competition in the weeks ahead (the biggest movie on the horizon is either A Wrinkle in Time, which opens March 9th, or Tomb Raider, which opens March 16th), Black Panther could easily end up being in the Top 5 highest-grossing movies of 2018.
Be sure to keep checking back this weekend for more on the Marvel’s film progress at the box office.
For more on Black Panther, click on the links below.
- ‘Black Panther’ Box Office to Cross $500 Million Today
- Why ‘Black Panther’s T’Challa Is a Better Man Than Most Superheroes
- Ryan Coogler Pens Heartfelt Thank You Note Following the Success of ‘Black Panther’
- Watch: ‘Black Panther’ Costume Designer Ruth Carter on Creating the Stunning Designs
- Watch: Ryan Coogler Gives a Detailed Breakdown of ‘Black Panther’s Casino Fight Scene