I think we can all agree the first Ouija movie wasn’t good. So when Universal, Jason Blum and Platinum Dunes announced the sequel, Ouija: Origin of Evil, I thought it was just a quick money grab and had little to no hope it would be any better than the first. But then I learned Mike Flanagan was writing and directing the next installment, and I started to believe the film might be better. After all, Flanagan has a knack for the horror genre with films like Hush, Before I Wake and Oculus. But I’ll admit, when I sat down to watch the film, I didn’t have much hope.
I was wrong.
While Ouija: Origin of Evil isn’t going to win any year-end Awards, the sequel is a massive improvement over the first film and I thought it was really well done. I might have even jumped once or twice while watching it. So if you were on the fence about the sequel, if you’re a fan of horror films, I’m here to say it’s worth your time.
Shortly after seeing the film, I sat down with Platinum Dunes producers Brad Fuller and Andrew Form for an exclusive video interview. They talked about how they improved on the original Ouija,who’s idea it was to put in the “cigarette burns”, their dynamic with Blumhouse, what they learned from test screenings on Ouija: Origin of Evil, the status of another sequel, and more.
Brad Fuller and Andrew Form:
- The dynamic of their relationship and why they argue but don’t fight.
- How they improved on the original Ouija.
- Who’s idea it was to put in the “cigarette burns”.
- Their dynamic with Blumhouse.
- How the development process works with Blumhouse and Platinum Dunes.
- Why they don’t do friends and family screenings and instead go straight to test screenings.
- What they learned from test screenings on Ouija: Origin of Evil.
- Why they don’t plan a franchise until they know there’s a demand for it.