‘Captain Marvel’s Official Website Is a Totally Fly 1990s Nostalgia Trip
Marvel Studios’ marketing department just knocked it out of the park with the official website for Captain Marvel. Get ready for some Geocities flashbacks, because Captain Marvel just got the flyest 1990s throwback homepage and it is all that and a bag of chips! Complete with a view counter, glaring animated text, and a gosh darn guestbook, the official website is sure to give any 90s baby a serious dose of nostalgia. You can experience it for yourself here.
With the Captain America release just around the corner, Avengers: Endgame directors Joe and Anthoy Russo also dropped some quotes on the official Marvel website about the challenges of integrating a wildly powerful character character like Diana into an ensemble film. “It’s always a concern of ours about overpowering characters, because the reason that people relate to these characters is their humanity, and that they’re flawed,” said Joe Russo. “And the reason we love working so much with Captain America was that he was limited, and his heart was his superpower, you know? So we’re all acutely aware of the dangers of having an overly powerful character. We like sensitive storytelling, so we found a thoughtful way through it.”
“That’s what kind of fires us up on a storytelling level,” added Anthony Russo. “Because when you do have powerful characters, you have to work that much harder to find their vulnerabilities and complexities. Joe was mentioning on a storytelling level… and keep the stakes high! Because that’s where those characters are vulnerable. And actually, that makes for great drama, and you run in that direction. As storytellers, that’s been one of the most fun things we’ve had working with these characters is figuring out ways into them where they are vulnerable and they aren’t all powerful.”
Now, if you don’t mind, I need to go rewind my video tapes so I can take them back to the neighborhood Blockbuster in time to in time to make my Tae Bo class.
Here’s the official synopsis for Captain Marvel:
Set in the 1990s, Marvel Studios’ “Captain Marvel” is an all-new adventure from a previously unseen period in the history of the Marvel Cinematic Universe that follows the journey of Carol Danvers as she becomes one of the universe’s most powerful heroes. While a galactic war between two alien races reaches Earth, Danvers finds herself and a small cadre of allies at the center of the maelstrom.
For more on Captain Marvel, be sure to check out more recent stories in the links below.
- Watch: New ‘Captain Marvel’ TV Spot Finds the Title Character Beating Up Skrulls
- ‘Captain Marvel’ Clip Sees Brie Larson Tussle With a Skrull Atop a Train
- New ‘Captain Marvel’ Images Give a Closer Look at Ronan, Starforce, & More
- New ‘Captain Marvel’ Character Posters Reveal the Movie’s MVP
- Edgar Wright to Direct Movie about a Robot Who Gets Inspired to Write a Screenplay
- Jason Bateman Explains Why He’s No Longer Directing ‘Clue’
- Watch: Steven Spielberg Introduces AFI Movie Club with Films to Watch Together While We're Apart
- The 30 Best Comedies on Netflix Right Now (March 2020)
- Collider Connected: Watch Our Exclusive Live Interview with Roger Deakins Live on April 2nd