Have you ever wished you could enter your favorite TV show and interact with the characters? Well, in Viki’s new international series Dramaworld, they’re aiming to sell you that kind of wish fulfillment. In the 10-episode American-Korean mashup series, written by Josh Billig and Chris Martin and directed by Martin, young college student Claire Duncan (Liv Hewson) is a rabid fan of Korean dramas, and soon finds herself in the middle of one after she’s magically transported into the world of the show she loves. Set in Los Angeles and Seoul and in both English and Korean through the use of well positioned subtitles (it’s a plot point), the show is a love letter to fans of Asian dramas which are incredibly popular around the world. Dramaworld also stars Sean Dulake (Athena: Goddess of War) as the leading man of her favorite drama “Taste of Love”, Justin Chon (The Twilight Saga) as Claire’s newfound friend who helps guide her, and Kim Sa Hee, Bae Noo Ri, and Jimmy Shubert.
Last year when the show was filming in Seoul I got to visit the set and talk to some of the cast and Chris Martin. While some of you might be wondering why we’d cover a web series, I jumped at the chance to do this because while a lot of you might not watch K dramas, they’re hugely popular around the world and I wanted to see how they were made up close.
During my interview with Martin he discussed how he ended up in Korea, the popularity of K dramas, how the series came together, what it’s about, memorable moments from filming, the way they can work in organic cameos, and a lot more. Towards the end we even played “Save or Kill.” Check out what he had to say above and check out Dramaworld starting April 17th on Viki.
- How frustrating is it to never be able to find stories about himself on Google due to a certain popstar?
- Gives some background on how he ended up in Korea making a web drama.
- How tough was it to get Dramaworld made?
5:05 – Talks about what the series is about.
- 6:20 – How the series is fun.
- 6:40 – What are the rules of the Dramaworld universe?
- 7:45- Memorable moments from filming.
- 8:10 – Talks about the organic cameos that can happen in the series.
- 9:20 – Was the cameos a factor in getting the show made?
- 10:05 – Running time of the episodes.
- 10:42 – How everyone in Korea is on a smartphone all the time.
- 11:50 – How popular is the genre in Korea and around the world?
- 13:20 – How the show will be in English and Korean with subtitles.
- 13:45 – What kind of notes does he get from the studio?
- 14:40 – How much of the series takes place in America?
- 14:52 – How much are they planning easter eggs for future series?
- 15:44 – What kind of production schedule do they have?
- 16:50 – What kind of camera are they using and why?
- 17:20 – Plays “Save or Kill”
- 20:20 – For people that have never been to Korea, what would he recommend doing if they visit?