If you’re looking for a performance showcase, look no further than Sundance Film Festival official selection, The Killing of Two Lovers. Clayne Crawford leads as David, a father of four who’s currently separated from his wife. The thing is though, it’s Nikki (Sepideh Moafi) who needed some space, not David. Eager to get back together and be with his family full time, the growing frustration eats away at David, especially as he watches Derek (Chris Coy) try to win Nikki and the kids over from a distance.
While in Park City for the world premiere of The Killing of Two Lovers, Crawford, Moafi, Coy and writer-director Robert Machoian visited the Collider Studio at the Kia Supper Suite to talk about their experience making the movie. Machoian talked a bit about directing his first feature solo and casting his own kids in the film, which created an extended family of sorts on the set and really helped the team flourish. You can hear about that and loads more in the video interview at the top of this article!
Finally, I’d like to give special thanks to our Collider Studio Presenting Partner, the Kia Telluride SUV, the 2020 North American Utility Vehicle of the Year. Additional thanks to support sponsors Glenfiddich Scotch, Peroni Beer, Marbl Toronto, mou footwear, ic! berlin sunglasses and clothing lines, Laundry by Sheli Segal and Orginal Penguin.
Robert Machoian, Chris Coy, Sepideh Moafi, Clayne Crawford:
- 00:30 – What is The Killing of Two Lovers about?
- 01:38 – This is Machoian’s first film as a solo director; why now and why with this story?
- 02:47 – How Crawford wound up working on this with Coy and Moafi.
- 04:21 – Why one might assume a lot of this movie was improvised when, in fact, it was all on the page.
- 05:55 – What’s more challenging, breaking a scene down into a number of shots or doing an entire scene in one shot?
- 06:45 – How Machoian decided to shoot the movie in very long takes.
- 07:41 – The challenge of focusing the camera during those very long takes when there are two characters in the frame.
- 09:45 – On the incredible young ensemble featured in the film – Machoian’s kids!