In addition to Greg Nicotero taking on showrunner duties at Shudder’s upcoming anthology series Creepshow, horror guru Tom Savini will also be bringing his particular talents to bear. The pair of Pittsburghers have a long shared history in the horror world, not to mention the Creepshow universe, so it’ll be a blast to see what the duo get up to on the new show. And rather than just bringing his make-up and prosthetics expertise to the series behind the scenes, Savini will be directing a segment in the upcoming anthology.
While attending this past weekend’s Monsterpalooza, Savini revealed that he is indeed directing a segment in Creepshow. That story in question is the previously announced short story “By the Silver Water of Lake Champlain” by Joe Hill. Hill himself has childhood roots in Creepshow, having played the comics-reading kid in the framing story, but his connection to the Stephen King universe isn’t just on the page, it’s in his blood.
You can see what Savini had to say about Creepshow and his many projects in this video from the panel in question (via Fangoria):
“I just directed an episode of the Creepshow television series. There’s 12 [stories] altogether – each show will have two episodes in it. Mine’s a combination of Stand By Me, The Fog, and Jurassic Park. It’s really something.”
Here’s the synopsis of Hill’s short story (via Amazon), though the final product on-screen will likely differ in some ways:
Little Gail London and her friend Joel Quarrel are out on a cold and lonely morning at the end of summer, when they make the find of the century: a dead plesiosaur, the size of a two-ton truck, washed up on the sand. With the fog swirling about them, they make their plans, fight to defend their discovery, and face for the first time the enormity of mortality itself… all unaware of what else might be out there in the silver water of Lake Champlain.
- “Gray Matter” by Stephen King
- “House of the Head” by Josh Malerman (Bird Box)
- “The Companion” by Joe Lansdale (The Bottoms)
- “The Man in the Suitcase” by Christopher Buehlman (The Lesser Dead)
- “All Hallows Eve” by Bruce Jones (The Hitchhiker)
- “Night of the Paw” by John Esposito (The Walking Dead: Webisodes)
- “Bad Wolf Down” by Rob Schrab (Monster House)
For more on Creepshow, be sure to get caught up with these recent write-ups:
- Shudder’s ‘Creepshow’ Cast Features Adrienne Barbeau, Giancarlo Esposito, & Tobin Bell
- Greg Nicotero’s ‘Creepshow’ Series Will Adapt Stories by Stephen King, Joe Lansdale, & More
- Shudder Announces ‘Creepshow’ Series from Makeup Wizard Greg Nicotero