Final Update: With just 8 hours to go as of this writing, the campaign has raised nearly $261,000 from a $17,000 goal. That’s incredible. But the team behind the scenes is still pushing for their “last, savage, and most ambitious goal: ‘The Pirate’s Revenge’ – Hardcore Solo mode with a new playable character!” The aim is for 250,000 Euros, or a little more than $280,000, meaning the campaign has just a few more hours to hit that mark. If its backers push it over the line for the last ambitious goal, players will get a brand new character to control:
Our original story follows below:
Ahoy landlubbers! The funding campaign to create the hand-drawn “ratoidvania” Curse of the Sea Rats for Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4, Xbox One and PC is now live on Kickstarter. [Update: And in less than 9 hours, the project is fully funded! But there are more stretch goals to come, so you still have plenty of time to check it out.] The new game from Petoons Studio packs all of the best features from the metroidvania genre, featuring beautiful 2D hand-drawn animation and 3D environments, combined with unique real-time combat mechanics, and of course, lots of rats! Players will get to explore the island, battle diabolic creatures, and fight brutal bosses commanded by the evil pirate Flora Burn as they forge their own path to freedom in a non-linear quest through the vast and mysterious coast of Ireland in 1777. The campaign’s launch trailer shows off the incredible artistry and action-packed gameplay available if and when Curse of the Sea Rats becomes available, with an estimated release set for April 2021.
The developer’s Kickstarter campaign aims to help them get the funds needed to finish the game and cover the costs related to the animation, production, and development, a critical need to complete the project without compromising the art and quality. Petoons Studio is an independent game developer and animation studio from Barcelona, Spain, built by a mix of talented artists and game developers pioneering the art of storyplaying. Their previous game, Petoons Party, winner of the PlayStation Award – Best Kids Game (2018), is currently available on Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC.
Check out the epic launch trailer for Curse of the Sea Rats game and be sure to head over to the Kickstarter campaign if you like what you see:
Curse of the Sea Rats is an epic hand-drawn ratoidvania for pirates, rats, and metroidvania lovers.
* Classic hand-drawn animation like the golden era of Disney and Don Bluth.
* A perfect mix of 2D models crafted on a 3D game environment for a 2.5D side-scrolling platformer experience.
* Explore a huge map with hundreds of rooms, in a non-linear quest, solving puzzles, and fighting enemies in the coast of Ireland in 1777.
* 4 playable characters, jam-packed with weapons and special abilities to upgrade.
* Discover all the secret rooms, special items, and multiple endings.
* Single-player mode: more than 12 hours of gameplay for the main quest
* Local Co-Op Multiplayer mode: up to 4 players.
* Spectacular intros and animations to discover the story behind the characters.