Last week, Collider partnered up with IMAX, Universal Pictures, and director David Leitch for a special screening of Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw at IMAX HQ followed by an extended Q&A. During the almost 60-minute (!) Q&A, Leitch talked about how the Hobbs & Shaw story came together, casting Idris Elba, what it’ll take to get stunts the respect they deserve in award season, the great scenes of Dwayne Johnson and Jason Statham insulting each other, how Elba ended up in the soundtrack, why he was thanked in the Baby Driver credits, what he remembers about making 300, what stunt or stunts have wreally impressed him in the past few years, what TV show would he like to guest direct, and so much more it would be impossible to list everything here.
Trust me, if you’re a fan of David Leitch and want to learn how Hobbs & Shaw was made, you’re going to learn a lot watching this Q&A. Check out what he had to say in the player above and below is exactly what we talked about.
As you’ve seen in the trailers, in the spinoff, Hobbs (Dwayne Johnson) must team up with Shaw (Jason Statham) to stop Brixton (Idris Elba), a superhuman anarchist bent on releasing a biothreat on the world. Hobbs & Shaw also stars Vanessa Kirby as Shaw’s sister, Helen Mirren as Shaw’s mother, Eiza Gonzalex, Eddie Marsan, and Cliff Curtis. The film is produced by Chris Morgan, Johnson, Statham and Hiram Garcia. The executive producers are Kelly McCormick, Dany Garcia, Steven Chasman, Ethan Smith and Ainsley Davies.
Finally, a huge thank you to David Leitch, IMAX and Universal Pictures for making this screening happen.
- What TV show would he like to guest direct?
- What movie has he seen the most?
- What TV show has he watched all the watched all the way through more than once?
- What stunt or stunts have really impressed him in the past few years?
- What’s his favorite ride at Disneyland?
- What does he collect?
- How he was Brad Pitt’s stunt double on Fight Club.
- What does he remember about making 300?
What was it like working with the Wachowskis on the second and third Matrix sequels?
- What was cooler: all the features he’s directed or directing the Celine Dion music video, Ashes?
- Why was he thanked in the Baby Driver credits?
- Is it true that Idris Elba would only do the movie if he had a song in the soundtrack?
- How did Idris Elba end up in the soundtrack?
- How he made Hobbs & Shaw in 13 months!
- How did he land Hobbs & Shaw?
- How much changed during production on the script?
- The great scenes of Dwayne Johnson and Jason Statham insulting each other.
- The one F bomb in the movie.
- Where did the line Black Superman come from?
- Casting Idris Elba.
- What will it take to get stunts the respect they deserve in award season?
- How did the cameos happen in the film?
- How much does he know the shots before arriving on set and how much is it figuring it out in the moment?
- Thirty minutes of audience questions.