With The Martian arriving on Digital HD next week and Blu-ray/DVD January 12th, I recently sat down with screenwriter Drew Goddard for an exclusive video interview. Since I spoke to him a few months back at the Toronto International Film Festival for the fantastic film, I decided to use my time to talk about the positive critical and audience reaction, what he’s working on now, Daredevil season 2, collaborating with Ridley Scott, and the behind-the-scenes of being a screenwriter in Hollywood – specifically how he broke into the industry, the moment he decided he wanted to be a screenwriter, fellow writers whom he admires, the best advice he ever received, how he trained for the job, the way he likes to work and more.
Check out what he had to say below and look more The Martian interviews soon.
0:45 – Goddard responds to the positive critical and audience reaction.
- 1:20 – Looks back on aspects of the film he might have done differently and reveals whether he would want to go back and change it.
- 2:30 – Gives an update on his current script.
- 3:15 – Talks about visiting China and seeing their reaction to the film.
- 4:51 – Comments on Season 2 of Daredevil on Netflix and what their goals are for the characters.
- 6:20 – Addresses the biggest misconception with his job as a screenwriter.
- 7:30 – Talks about his collaboration with Ridley Scott.
- 8:50 – Comments on the directing style and working environment of Ridley Scott.
- 9:40 – Talks about working with different film departments.
- 10:20 – Reveals the hardest part and the most rewarding part of his job.
- 11:05 – Talks about the moment he decided he wanted to be a screenwriter.
- 11:45 – Comments on how he trained for the job and how he broke into the industry.
- 12:45 – Talks about fellow screenwriters whom he admires.
- 13:30 – Reveals whether or not his process has changed over the course of his career and his superstitions.
- 14:00 – Talks about the best advice he ever received as a screenwriter.
- 15:00 – Looks back on the day he’ll always remember from making The Martian.