With writer/director Sofia Coppola’s (Lost in Translation, The Virgin Suicides, Marie Antoinette) Somewhere opening in limited release this week, I was able to sit down with Elle Fanning (Dakota’s younger sister) to talk about the movie. In Somwhere, Fanning plays the 11-year-old daughter of “a bad-boy A-list actor stumbling through a life of excess.” Playing her father is Stephen Dorff and most of the film takes place at the Chateau Marmont hotel in Hollywood. You can learn a lot more about the movie and watch the trailer here.
Anyway, while Fanning is only twelve years old, she answered questions like a seasoned veteran. We talked about how she got cast, what’s it like to work for so many great directors, working with Chris Pontius (from Jackass) and was she really laughing during their takes. Finally, we talked about J.J. Abrams Super 8 (she’s one of the leads) and her school’s Lost club. Hit the jump to watch the interview. Somwehere expands into more theaters in January.
- How did she get cast
- What is it like to work on so many high profile projects
- What’s similar about all the great directors she’s worked with
- What was it like to work with Chris Pontius and was that real laughter
- Super 8 talk – was she surprised to get the role and what has it been like making the film
- Was she a fan of J.J. Abrams Star Trek
- She talks about her school’s Lost club