I haven’t seen The Expendables 2 yet, but the biggest selling point for the sequel and the original is the cast. If you were an action movie star, then The Expendables franchise wants you to pick up a gun and blow shit up. According to Producer Avi Lerner, they’ve already got Nicolas Cage signed up to do just that in The Expendables 3. It’s worth noting that The Expendables 3 isn’t a done deal. Lionsgate hasn’t given the third film a greenlight, but the studio will most likely continue the franchise if the upcoming sequel dominates the box office this weekend (and it probably will).
Cage is the latest addition to the cast (all of which are slated to return, according to Lerner), but he may not be the only big name to join the series. Hit the jump for more.
Speaking to Total Film, Lerner says he’s got big plans for The Expendables 3 casting:
We’ve approached Clint Eastwood to be one of the guys, we’ve got a character in mind for him. We’re talking to Harrison Ford. [And we want] Wesley Snipes when he comes back from prison. I’ll give you one more name, we’ve got Nicolas Cage to play [one of the characters].”
“And we’re going to bring Mickey Rourke back, if he won’t be too crazy. I like Mickey. And of course, all the existing stars [will return]”
Eastwood seems like an unlikely draw. He had previously retired from acting after Gran Torino, but was persuaded to return to help longtime associate director Robert Lorenz‘ feature debut, Trouble with the Curve. As for Ford, it’s possible since he’s been willing to take on a supporting role in recent years (although this would be a considerably larger ensemble), and I love the comment about “Snipes when he comes back from prison.” Snipes is due for release on July 19, 2013, so they’ll have to figure that into their schedule if the actor says yes and the third film is a go.