‘Freaks’: Directors and Cast on Their Cool Sci-Fi Thriller
One of the many great films to premiere at this year’s Toronto International Film Festival was Freaks. Written and directed by Adam Stein and Zach Lipovsky, Freaks is a science-fiction thriller about a disturbed father (Emile Hirsch) that locks his 7-year-old daughter (Lexy Kolker) in their house, warning her of grave dangers outside. But a mysterious stranger (Bruce Dern) convinces the girl to escape and join him on a quest for family, freedom, and revenge. I’d love to go into more details about the plot, but the less you know about the twists and turns the better. Freaks also stars Grace Park and Aleks Paunovic.
Shortly after seeing the film, Aleks Paunovic, Amanda Crew, Lexy Kolker and directors Zach Lipovsky and Adam B. Stein came into the Collider studio at TIFF to talk about the film. During the wide-ranging interview they talked about the difficulty of promoting Freaks while also trying not to spoil the film, the challenges of making a movie like this with such a limited budget, how Lipovsky and Stein first met on a reality show, what it was like for the actors working with two directors, memorable moments from filming, and more.
In addition, towards the end of the interview they played “Get to Know Your TIFF Attendee”, which includes questions like what TV show they’d like to guest spot on, what film scared them as a kid, what is the background photo on their phone, what TV show have they watched all the way through more than once, have they watched a movie more than 20 times, and more.
Check out what they had to say in the player above and below is exactly what we talked about. For more on Freaks you can read Perri Nemiroff’s review.
Aleks Paunovic, Amanda Crew, Zach Lipovsky, Adam B. Stein, and Lexy Kolker:
- How would they describe the movie without giving away the twists and spoilers, including their character descriptions?
- How Lexy landed the role, and the extremes of filming.
- The challenges of making a movie like this with such a limited budget.
- The story of how Lipovsky and Stein first met on a reality show.
- What it was like for the actors working with two directors.
- Memorable moments from filming, including Lexy’s birthday on set and improv moments between the actors.
- They play “Get to Know Your TIFF Attendee,” including what TV show they would want to guest star on (or write/direct), what they collect, favorite sci-fi or fantasy movie, and what props they have from their previous films.
Aurora, Presenting Partner, one of Canada’s largest federally licensed cannabis companies and an official partner of the Toronto International Film Festival. Aurora’s involvement is anchored by its passion for the arts and commitment to providing financial support for the creative community.
Diageo Canada joins as the official spirit sponsor and will be showcasing cocktails featuring brands from their luxury portfolio including Ciroc Vodka,Tanqueray™ No. TEN Gin, Johnnie Walker Black Label and Bulleit Bourbon.
Toasting the evening’s festivities will be La Marca Prosecco, an elegant, luxurious sparkling wine. The premium wines of California’s Ghost Pines Winery will also be served!
Dutch beer brand Grolsch, the official beer sponsor of the Toronto Film Festival recognizable by its iconic swingtop bottle, will tap into the House of Aurora to extend its VIP footprint at the Festival. Grolsch has long been a champion of creativity and independent thinking.
Frank Rea Event Designs Toronto’s top event florist and ambient designer Frank Rea creatively lends his support with décor statements and floral designs through Forget Me Not Flowers & Frank Rea Event Designs.
The Collider Studio at the House of Aurora was produced by A-list Communications and The Substance Group.
- Watch 'The Aeronauts' Director Tom Harper Discuss Amazon's Strategy Shift and 'Wild Rose'
- ‘The Irishman’ DP Rodrigo Prieto Breaks Down Two Key Scenes, Talks Working with Scorsese
- Director Todd Haynes on ‘Dark Waters’ and His Upcoming ‘Velvet Underground’ Documentary
- Watch: 'Jumanji: The Next Level' Cast Body Swaps with the Film Crew
- Watch Rian Johnson and Nathan Johnson's 'FYC' Q&A for 'Knives Out'