Marvel has released the first trailer for Guardians of the Galaxy. Led by half-human, half-alien Peter Quill (Chris Pratt), the team is comprised of humanoid aliens Gamora (Zoe Saldana) and Drax the Destroyer (Dave Bautista), talking raccoon Rocket Raccoon (Bradley Cooper), and Groot (Vin Diesel), a giant, walking tree. If you were at last year’s Comic-Con, you’ll recognize a lot of the footage, but for the majority of audiences this first look gives a great sense of tone and the type of humor on display in the film. We also get a solid look at Karen Gillan as Nebula and Benicio Del Toro as The Collector; a dozen new still images from the film can be found here.
Lee Pace, John C. Reilly, Glenn Close, Michael Rooker, Djimon Hounsou, and Peter Serafinowicz also star in the comic book adaptation directed by James Gunn. Guardians of the Galaxy opens in 3D on August 1st. Watch the trailer after the jump.
Watch the first trailer for Guardians of the Galaxy below:
- Click here for the first poster for Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy
- Click here for teasers featuring Star-Lord, Gamora, and Drax the Destroyer
- Click here for teasers featuring Rocket Raccoon and Groot
- Click here for James Gunn talking Infinity Gems, Adam Warlock, when we’ll hear Rocket speak, the second trailer, and more
- Click here for 12 new images from Guardians of the Galaxy
- Click here for a close up on Karen Gillan as the Villainous Nebula in Guardians of the Galaxy
- Click here for 20 screencaps from the Guardians of the Galaxy trailer
From Marvel, the studio that brought you the global blockbuster franchises of Iron Man, Thor, Captain America and The Avengers, comes a new team – the Guardians of the Galaxy. An action-packed epic space adventure, Marvel’s “Guardians of the Galaxy” expands the Marvel Cinematic Universe into the cosmos, where brash adventurer Peter Quill finds himself the object of an unrelenting bounty hunt after stealing a mysterious orb coveted by Ronan, a powerful villain with ambitions that threaten the universe. To evade the ever-persistent Ronan, Quill is forced into an uneasy truce with a quartet of disparate misfits – Rocket, a gun-toting raccoon, Groot, a tree-like humanoid, the deadly and enigmatic Gamora and the revenge-driven Drax the Destroyer. But when Peter discovers the true power of the orb and the menace it poses to the cosmos, he must do his best to rally his ragtag rivals for a last, desperate stand – with the galaxy’s fate in the balance. Marvel’s “Guardians of the Galaxy” is presented by Marvel Studios. The film releases August 1, 2014, and is distributed by Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures.