If you’re a fan of Guillermo del Toro, today is Christmas. That’s because at tonight’s Saturn Awards, del Toro surprised everyone by attending the ceremony and answering a ton of questions backstage in the press room. While most of us would have been happy to speak to him for 5 minutes, he continued talking to us for over 20 minutes!! We literally got so much info out of him that we stopped asking questions. I know it’s hard to believe, but after watching the interview, you’ll see we covered everything you could think to ask him.
During the 20 or so minutes we talked about The Hobbit, Hellboy 3, Frankenstein, Saturn and the End of Days, Death The High Cost of Living, Comic-Con, At the Mountains of Madness, his “Man Cave (his second house where he keeps all his collectibles) and so much more. Trust me, if you’re a fan of GDT, this is a must watch interview. And to make it easy, I’ve time indexed everything we talked about and listed some of the highlights after the jump.
Oh, and one thing he told me off camera…Criterion is going to release a Blu-ray of Cronos in December and it’s going to include a 15 minute documentary on his Man Cave!
- Wants to be shooting something in May of next year
- At the Mountains of Madness is probably not going to happen due to many reasons (he explains in interview)
- Hellboy 3 would only happen after his next project. It’s definitely not his next film
- Frankenstein – he is presenting the storyline to Universal and Doug Jones will play Frankenstein
- Frankenstein screenplay is not done yet
- At Comic-Con GDT will be promoting Don’t Be Afraid of the Dark. They are definitely announcing a project at Comic-Con that he will be writing, producing and maybe directing. Says he is at Comic-Con for 3 days to do some shopping
- His Man Cave is getting an addition. He explains.
- Says the 3 projects he is thinking about have scripts that are much further along. Says the script he really wants to do he started 15 years ago!
- Says his brother is making for him the car from the movie The Car starring James Brolin! He’ll be driving around Los Angeles in 3 months in it
Here’s the full interview. It’s a great one. Also, make sure to check back for a lot more video interviews from tonight’s Saturn Awards.
- Is it bittersweet to be home
- Do the drawing for The Hobbit belong to someone else now? He also talks about the visual direction for the movie
- 1:30 – On the flight over to the USA, did a lot of people come up to him to say how sorry they are he isn’t doing The Hobbit
- 2:00 – All the projects he’s attached to. Is he leaning towards one project right now
- 2:30 – At the Mountains of Madness talk – explains why it is still hard for a studio to do it
- 3:25 – Says he has narrowed his list of projects he might do to 3
- 3:45 – Is Frankenstein easier to do. Says he is presenting the storylines to Universal
- 4:00 – Wants to be shooting something in May of next year.
- 4:20 – Hellboy 3 talk – says they still need to write the screenplay. Says it would have to be the movie after the next one
- 4:50 – The guys from Chuck join the interview
- 5:30 – Reveals Doug Jones would play Frankenstein!
- 6:15 – Did he make a decent living doing the pre-production of The Hobbit
- 6:45 – Can they move forward with another director on The Hobbit with the MGM situation
- 7:40 – Has the lukewarm reception to The Wolfman made Universal nervous to Frankenstein. Talks about his love of Frankenstein and Creature From the Black Lagoon
- 8:40 – More about Doug Jones as Frankenstein. Says they have already done the sculpting! They are doing a test with Doug very soon
- 9:05 – Frankenstein screenplay is not done yet
- 9:40 – Says the 3 projects he is thinking about have scripts much further along. Says the script he really wants to do he started 15 years ago!
- 10:40 – Says he is stuck on page 25 of Saturn and the End of Days
- 11:00 – Did he learn a lot on The Hobbit that he can take to his next project
- 12:00 – Is the project he might do at Universal. Says one of the three is…the other two are not. Talks about not wanting to do a rebound movie. Funny stuff.
- 13:45- Is there any chance of him going back to The Hobbit if the MGM situation got resolved very soon
- 14:40 – Could we still see his version of Death The High Cost of Living
- 15:10 – Splice talk
- 16:15 – What is he doing at Comic-Con. Says he’s promoting Don’t Be Afraid of the Dark. They are definitely announcing a project at Comic-Con that he will be writing, producing and maybe directing. Says he is at Comic-Con for 3 days to do some shopping
- 17:50 – Talks about his man cave (his second home). Says it is so full he is building a new wing that’s called the rain room and it’s going to rain all day in it and night all day. He also talks about the home and what’s in it. Sounds amazing.
- 20:00 – What drives him to succeed
- 20:45 – Talks about the car he drives. Says his brother is making for him the car from the movie The Car starring James Brolin!
- 21:55 – Have a lot of other studios and people been trying to contact him for other projects