In a move that feels like it should happen more often, 20th Century Fox has announced it will be re-releasing Independence Day as a double feature with the premiere of Independence Day: Resurgence. According to a press release, the event will take place only on Thursday, June 23rd, probably as a way to help kick off the weekend box office.
The best thing about the deal, which will start at 5 p.m. with the original and lead into a 3D showing of the new movie at 8 p.m., is that it’s all included in a single ticket price. Awesomely old school. The only thing better might be seeing it at drive-in theater.
We always knew they were coming back. After ‘Independence Day’ redefined the event movie genre, the next epic chapter delivers global spectacle on an unimaginable scale. Using recovered alien technology, the nations of Earth have collaborated on an immense defense program to protect the planet. But nothing can prepare us for the aliens’ advanced and unprecedented force. Only the ingenuity of a few brave men and women can bring our world back from the brink of extinction.
Independence Day: Resurgence opens June 24th and stars Liam Hemsworth, Jeff Goldblum, Bill Pullman, Judd Hirsch, Maika Monroe, Jessie Usher, William Fichtner, Charlotte Gainsbourg, Travis Tope, Sela Ward, Brent Spiner, Vivica A. Fox, and Angelababy.
Be sure to check out all of our recent news on the sequel below:
- ‘Independence Day: Resurgence’ UK Trailer Gives Nearly 5-Minute Look at Earth’s Biggest Battle
- Watch: ‘Independence Day: Resurgence’ Wants YOU to Join the Earth Space Defense
- 10 Things We Learned about the Making of ‘Independence Day’ from the Celebration Event
- ‘Independence Day: Resurgence’ Viral Video Recaps 20 Years Since “The War of 1996”
- New ‘Independence Day: Resurgence’ Trailer Explores Family Ties, Destroys Famous Landmarks