‘It Chapter Two’ Producer Barbara Muschietti on the Challenges of De-Aging the Young Losers
The term “coming of age movie” is often applied to a movie about kids on the cusp of adulthood, but there are many more points in one’s life when he or she “comes of age,” and each and every one of them comes with a mix of overlapping and new fears. In It Chapter Two, for example, the members of the Losers Club are 27 years older and they’re at a point of great change in their lives, coming to terms with what happened in Derry when they were kids while also trying to find the best possible way to move on and thrive.
There are a ton of terrifying visuals in 2017’s It including the Flute Lady and the headless body chasing poor Ben in the library, but now that the Losers are older, It Chapter Two can push it even farther with very real, potentially debilitating fears they’re struggling through. Pennywise is a shapeshifter so, of course, you can still expect an abundance of nightmarish creatures, but Pennywise has to change its tactics this time around in order to hit the adult losers where it hurts most and that means further exploiting self-doubt, guilt, abuse and more.
With It Chapter Two hitting theaters on September 6th, I recently got the chance to sit down with producer Barbara Muschietti to discuss her experience adding more adult fears to the franchise and also one of their biggest post-production challenges, de-aging the young Losers using VFX. You can hear about it all using the video player at the top of this article!
- The Flute Lady from the first It was inspired by one of Andy Muschietti’s real fears; are any of her own represented in the films?
- Muschietti on her experience using de-aging technology.
- Did they shoot any additional scenes with Jess Weixler‘s Audra?
- Adding more adult fears in the sequel.
For more It Chapter Two coverage, browse the links below:
- ‘It Chapter Two’ Stars Name the Cast Member Most Likely to End up in a Sewer
- Watch the ‘It Chapter Two’ Cast Turn the Movie ‘Rudy’ into a Pennywise Nightmare
- ‘It Chapter Two’ Director Andy Muschietti on Getting Weird and Surreal with the CGI
- Watch the ‘It Chapter Two’ Cast Pick Who Should Play the “Old Losers”
- The Best Horror Movies in Theaters Right Now
- 'Spirit Riding Free' Christmas Special Teased in Delightful New Trailer
- ‘The Mandalorian’ Episode 3 Images Tease More Baby Yoda Cuteness
- Every Disney Animated Movie Ever Made Ranked from Worst to Best
- Michael Mann Wrote Todd Phillips a Letter Praising 'Joker'