In theaters this weekend is Nightcrawler, the stunning feature debut from writer/director Dan Gilroy. The film centers on Lou Bloom (Jake Gyllenhaal) an ambitious and morally malformed young man looking to find his fortune. When Bloom stumbles onto the world of “nightcrawlers”, film crews who capture footage of violent tragedies and sell them to the highest bidder, he finally finds his calling. While Gyllenhaal has always stood tall among his peers as a brave and capable actor, his work in Nightcrawler sets a new standard. Bloom is chilling, charming, and the perfect representation of what happens when the American Dream turns nightmarish.
I recently sat down with Gyllenhaal for an exclusive video interview. He talked about how people have reacted the complicated character of Lou Bloom, how working as producer changed his approach as an actor, if he wants to move into directing, and what’s coming up in 2015 like Everest, Southpaw, and Demolition. Hit the jump to watch.
- Has he been surprised by how people react to his character?
- Talks about how there’s a little bit of Lou Bloom in all of us.
- How does working as both producer and actor change his approach to the job?
- Is he looking to move into directing at any point?
- Talks about upcoming films Everest, Southpaw, and Demolition.