Opening this weekend is director Jeff Tomsic’s comedy, Tag. Written by Rob McKittrick and Mark Steilen, the film is based on a real group of friends that have been playing the same game of Tag for over twenty years and were profiled in the Wall Street Journal article titled, “It Takes Planning, Caution to Avoid Being It,” by Russell Adams. While the movie makes some changes to the amount of people playing and other details, the essence of the story is very much in place. Tag stars Ed Helms, Jake Johnson, Annabelle Wallis, Rashida Jones, Isla Fisher, Leslie Bibb, Hannibal Buress, Jon Hamm and Jeremy Renner. For more on the film, you can watch the trailer here.
A few days ago at the Los Angeles press junket for Tag, I sat down with Jake Johnson for a wide-ranging conversation. During the really fun interview, Johnson shared some great stories about working with Tom Cruise on The Mummy and why he’s such a special person, what it was like working with the great ensemble cast in Tag, filming the action set pieces, working with the Phantom ultrahigh-speed camera, and more. In addition, he talked about why he now takes better care of himself, what he wants to do next, and even though he can’t confirm he’s part of the fantastic looking Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse, he talked about how cool the trailer looked and why he thinks it’s going to be a special film.
Check out what Jake Johnson had to say in the player above and below is a list of what we talked about.
- Talks about what it was like working with Tom Cruise on The Mummy and why he’s so awesome.
- How filming Tag must have been a great experience because of the ensemble cast.
- Talks about filming the action set pieces and working with the Phantom ultrahigh-speed camera.
- How he brings his family to set and that’s why he didn’t hang out with everyone off set.
- Talks about when he became a homebody and why he takes care of himself.
- How he can’t confirm he’s in Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse.
- What are his thoughts on the Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse trailer and the way it looks?
- What’s coming up next? Talks about how he wants to work on projects he’s passionate about including an action-comedy with Damon Wayans Jr.