While I’ve done a lot of set visits, the one I got to do for Alexandre Aja’s The 9th Life of Louis Drax was extremely unusual. Not only did I get to visit the set on my own when the film was shooting in Vancouver, I got to conduct video interviews with most of the cast. Usually set visits are print interviews and done in large groups, so getting to spend the day watching The 9th Life of Louis Drax get made on my own was a lot of fun and something I’ll never forget.
If you’re not familiar with the thriller, which Summit Premiere and Miramax release in theaters September 2nd, the film centers on a young boy, Louis (Aiden Longworth), who has survived eight near-death experiences, but plunges off a cliff on his ninth birthday. While he survives the fall, he stays in a coma, and it’s up to an intrepid doctor (Jamie Dornan) to find out the truth about what happened to Louis while also happening to fall for Louis’ mother (Sarah Gadon). The film also stars Aaron Paul, Oliver Platt, Molly Parker, and Barbara Hershey. The 9th Life of Louis Drax is based on the novel by Liz Jensen and the script was written by Max Minghella. You can watch the trailer here.
During my interview with Jamie Dornan and Sarah Gadon they talked about how they got involved in the project, if Jamie really did the movie due to the script font, what it’s been like working with Alexandre Aja, how Dornan’s father will always give him notes about the script and character but didn’t on this role, and so much more. What’s great about the video is you can see a lot of fun banter between Dornan and Gadon and it’s pretty clear they were having a lot of fun making Louis Drax.
Jamie Dornan and Sarah Gadon:
- They talk about who they play and how they got involved in the project.
- How Jamie only got involved in the project due to the script font.
- How much changed after getting cast.
- How Jamie Dornan’s father is a real doctor and if that helped him with the role. Dornan explains how his dad will always give him notes about the script and character but didn’t on this role.
- How do they like to work on set and what has it been like working with Alexandre Aja?
- They talk about the scene they were just shooting.
- How quickly did they know they want to be involved in the project?
- Did they watch anything to get ready for the film?
- Have they learned anything over the last year or two that they wish they could apply years ago?