With director Ang Lee’s Gemini Man opening in theaters this weekend, I recently sat down with super producer Jerry Bruckheimer (his incredible resume is here) for an extended interview. He talked about the long development process of Gemini Man and when he first realized they finally had the technology to make the movie, why the high frame rate in Gemini Man looks so much better than The Hobbit and Billy Lynn’s Long Halftime Walk, how the technology was changing during production, the cameras they used, what they learned from test screenings, and more. In addition, with Eddie Murphy recently telling me he’s going to do Beverly Hills Cop 4, I asked Bruckheimer the status of the project including if they have a finished script and who will be directing the long awaited sequel.
If you haven’t seen the trailers, the sci-fi thriller sees Will Smith as a retired assassin being hunted by a 23-year-old clone of himself. Smith plays both parts through the magic of modern technology and the film doesn’t shy away from the actor going head-to-head with his own doppelganger. Gemini Man also stars Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Clive Owen, Benedict Wong, and Douglas Hodge.
Check out what Jerry Bruckheimer had to say in the player above and below is exactly what we talked about. Look for more Gemini Man interviews every day this week.
- When people talk to him about his 90s movies, do more want to talk about The Rock, Con Air or Armageddon?
- Did he ever think when they were making Armageddon it would be a Criterion movie?
- When did he realize they could finally make Gemini Man?
How the high frame rate in Gemini Man looks so much better than The Hobbit and Billy Lynn’s Long Halftime Walk.
- How the technology changed during the shoot.
- What was the smallest camera they could use?
- What did they learn when they got in the editing room that they weren’t expecting?
- Did they have a lot of deleted scenes?
- What did they learn from test screenings?
- What’s the status of Beverly Hills Cop 4?
- What’s coming up next for TV with his company?