Now playing in theaters is Magic Mike XXL. Gregory Jacobs takes over as director this time around, though Steven Soderbergh is still onboard as cinematographer, camera operator, and editor. Written by Reid Carolin, the story takes place three years after the events of Magic Mike, as Channing Tatum’s character has bowed out of the stripper game for good…or so he thinks. The rest of the Kings of Tampa decide to throw in the towel as well, but not before one last blow-out performance in Myrtle Beach with Mike sharing the spotlight. As the boys embark on a rowdy road trip, they renew old acquaintances and make new friends.
As you can see in these fifty images, Jada Pinkett Smith plays a club owner, while Amber Heard, Donald Glover, Elizabeth Banks, and Andie MacDowell fill other supporting roles. The film also stars Matt Bomer, Joe Manganiello, Kevin Nash, Adam Rodriguez, Stephen ‘tWitch’ Boss, Michael Strahan, and Gabriel Iglesias.
At the Los Angeles press day I landed an extended video interview with Joe Manganiello. He talked about his expanded role in the sequel, the chances of Magic Mike 3 being in 3D, how the sequel could go overseas, how the vampire joke in the sequel came about, his first job in Hollywood working as a bodyguard for Tyrese, and a lot more.
- :14 – When did he realize the first Magic Mike was going to be something special?
- 1:22 – His reaction to reading the Magic Mike XXL script for the first time. Talks about his expanded role.
- 2:20 – What are the chances of Magic Mike 3D?
- 2:49 – Talks about the prospect of setting a sequel overseas.
- 3:38 – How much room is there for improvisation? Talks about discovering chemistry between the actors on the set of the first film.
- 5:00 – Talks about his winking line about vampires/True Blood that he improvised.
- 5:35 – Talks about his first job working as a bodyguard for Tyrese.
- 7:00 – Teases an upcoming action movie from someone who directed some of the seminal Cannon films.