Jon Stewart, a long time Star Wars fan, will be interviewing George Lucas for one hour at Star Wars Celebration V in Orlando, Florida, Aug. 12-15. The conversation, dubbed The Main Event, will cover the history of the franchise with some great random questions by Stewart. All I can say about this is…finally, a reason to attend.
If you missed Lucas’ appearance on The Daily Show back in January, it was epic. That’s because Stewart actually put Lucas on the spot and asked him questions like how does it feel to piss off a whole generation of fans and do you still believe you’re as creative as you used to be? Trust me, when you’re speaking to someone really famous and loved by millions, it’s very hard to ask a hard hitting question. For more on the convention, including how to submit your own questions for Stewart to ask, check out starwarscelebration.com.
UPDATE – We’ve been sent the press release from Lucasfilm which details exactly what is going on at Celebration V. Hit the jump to check it out:
Fan Event to Feature Live Interview with George Lucas –Hosted by The Daily Show’s Jon Stewart! Star Wars Celebration V Will Take Place in Orlando, FL August 12-15
Other Exclusive Events Include the Star Wars Commitment Chapel, Star Wars Stories Project, Costume Contest, Celebrity Panels, Screenings and Much, Much More!
SAN FRANCISCO, CA (June 17, 2010) – Already jam-packed with a full slate of intergalactic events, activities and attractions, Star Wars Celebration V today announced THE MAIN EVENT – a live, on-stage interview with Saga creator George Lucas hosted by The Daily Show’s Jon Stewart. The hour-long, candid conversation will spark a discourse sure to shed light on the storied history of the Star Wars Saga – from its past to its future, with insider insights about the many steps along the way. A self-proclaimed lover of Lucas’ “galaxy far, far away,” Stewart brings a fan sensibility to the interview, aiming to focus on areas of interest to the many diverse and devoted groups that have helped Star Wars endure for more than thirty years. In addition to the dialogue between Lucas and Stewart, fan questions can be submitted through the official Star Wars Celebration V website: www.starwarscelebration.com
Taking place in Orlando, FL from August 12-15, Star Wars Celebration V will commemorate the 30th Anniversary of Star Wars: Episode V The Empire Strikes Back and the ongoing, weekly adventures of Star Wars: The Clone Wars. Featuring celebrities, costumes, live entertainment, screenings, autographs, collectibles, panels and much, much more, Star Wars Celebration V is the official Lucasfilm convention – and the biggest Star Wars party in the galaxy!
Additional CV activities and highlights include:
- Celebrity Guests – In addition to THE MAIN EVENT with George Lucas and Jon Stewart, celebrity guests include Carrie Fisher (Princess Leia, Episodes IV-VI), Anthony Daniels (C-3PO, Episodes I-VI), Jeremy Bulloch (Boba Fett, Episodes V and VI), Peter Mayhew (Chewbacca, Episodes III-VI), Jake Lloyd (Anakin Skywalker, Episode I), Temuera Morrison (Jango Fett, Episode II), Daniel Logan (Boba Fett, Episode II, Star Wars: The Clone Wars), Ray Park (Darth Maul, Episode I), Nick Gillard (Stunt Coordinator, Episodes I-III) and Matthew Wood (General Grievous, Episodes II and III, Star Wars: The Clone Wars). Celebration hosts include Jay Laga’aia (Captain Typho, Episode II), David Collins (LucasArts) and Pablo Hidalgo (Lucasfilm).
- Star Wars Stories Project – Fans of the Saga will have the unique opportunity to become a part of the Star Wars universe by contributing to Lucasfilm’s video archive. Soliciting movie memories and fan nostalgia, the Stories Project is an ongoing initiative dedicated to chronicling the fan experience by inviting fans – young and old – to share their own anecdotes and personal experiences through taped testimonials.
- Star Wars Celebration Chapel – In our galaxy and “far, far away,” love is the strongest Force of all. It is a power that surrounds us, drives us and binds us together. And Star Wars fans will be able to express their deep commitment to their special someone at the Star Wars Celebration Chapel. Choose between a “light side” and “dark side” ceremony, and have your union officiated by your choice of colorful characters from the Star Wars Saga – and beyond!
- Star Wars Laser Tag: Team up with your family and friends to out-shoot Imperial stormtroopers in the live, action-packed arena of Star Wars Laser Tag, every day of the show.
- Family Fun – While all of Star Wars Celebration V is family-friendly, there’s also a wide selection of events and activities geared especially toward Star Wars‘ youngest fans – from arts & crafts tutorials and interactive games to the popular Jedi Training Academy!
- Robot Chicken Star Wars – Seth Green and Matt Senreich speak about their shared passion for the Star Wars Saga, and how it led to the creation and development of the Robot Chicken Star Wars specials.
- Star Wars Fashion Show – Ashley Eckstein – the voice of Ahsoka Tano in Star Wars: The Clone Wars – hosts a first-ever fashion show celebrating the breadth and depth of clothing lines bringing Star Wars to the street.
- Cartoon Network Family Room and Screening Room – Cartoon Network presents an area specifically designed for family fun – featuring activities and events, workshops, contests and free screenings of select episodes of Star Wars: The Clone Wars and other Cartoon Network shows. The festivities culminate in The Clone Wars Slumber Party!
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – Fans of Lucasfilm Animation’s cutting-edge animated series will have the opportunity to go behind-the-scenes with cast and crew – including supervising director Dave Filoni. In addition to never-before-seen glimpses into the making of Star Wars: The Clone Wars, fans will get a sneak peek at what’s to come in Season Three!
- Costume Contests – Star Wars costumers both veteran and amateur are invited to participate in exciting costume contests at Star Wars Celebration. With four Costume Pageants – two for everyone and two specifically for kids – there are plenty of opportunities to model intergalactic finery.
- Star Wars Art Show – Featuring over 40 amazing artists and their unique interpretations of that “galaxy far, far away.”
- Star Wars Video Game Universe – Nearly every Star Wars game ever created will be brought together in a single location – where they will be playable for the full duration of Star Wars Celebration V.
- Last Tour To Endor – After more than two decades of interstellar travel, Disney’s Star Tours attraction gets the ultimate send-off with Last Tour to Endor – an out-of-this-world party and first-of-its-kind entertainment experience including specially-themed intergalactic party zones, Star Wars shows, a Death Star Disco and much more. The evening will culminate with Symphony in the Stars – a Star Wars fireworks spectacular as only Disney Parks can create.