While Marvel has been hitting homeruns with critics and fans, DC and Warner Bros. have been struggling to bring their superheroes to life, unless his name is Batman. However, on June 14th, that’s all going to change, as the studios are releasing director Zack Snyder‘s Man of Steel and I’m pretty sure it’s going to be the start of a new billion-dollar franchise.
In addition to making Superman cool again, the studios have other plans that require his help: their Justice League movie. While rumors have the movie being released in 2015, as of now, no director is officially attached, and no one is sure if the movie would work without introducing the other characters in their own movies first (like Marvel did before The Avengers). So when I sat down with Snyder a few hours ago at the Los Angeles Man of Steel junket, I asked his thoughts the Justice League movie and if that would get his attention before a Man of Steel sequel. Hit the jump for more.
While many of us have wondered if Snyder was going to be the one who’d helm the Justice League movie, he told me that even if he was offered the project:
“I feel like you need to get Superman a little further down the road before you can do a Justice League movie.”
Meaning he’d do the Superman sequel first. Here’s the part of the interview where we talked about the Man of Steel sequel and the Justice League movie. Look for more with Snyder very soon.
Zack Snyder: Look … completely hypothetically, I feel like you need … to get Superman a little further down the road, I think, before you can do a Justice League movie.
They’ve talked about Justice League for 2015 and that seems a little soon for me.
Snyder: Yeah, I don’t know who “they” are.
That’s what the studio was talking about. [Laughs] So, I guess you’re saying that you could see yourself doing a Superman sequel and then perhaps…
Snyder: I don’t know. All I’m saying is that you’ve got to get Superman further down the road.
For more on Man of Steel, here’s all my set visit coverage:
- 60 Things to Know About MAN OF STEEL From Our Set Visit; Plus a Recap of What We Saw Being Filmed
- Henry Cavill Talks Comics Influences, the “Superman Curse,” Developing His American Accent, Physical Training, and More on the Set of MAN OF STEEL
- Zack Snyder Talks Changes to the Character, Creating the Right Suit, His Visual Style, 3D, Putting the Cast Together, and More on the Set of MAN OF STEEL
- David S. Goyer Talks Collaborating with Christopher Nolan, His New Take on Superman, a Feudal Japan-style Krypton, & More on the Set of MAN OF STEEL
- Producer Charles Roven Talks Christopher Nolan’s Involvement, the Filming Locations, Assembling the Cast, and More on the Set of MAN OF STEEL