With Star Trek Beyond now in theaters, it’s time to post my final interview for the film and it’s with director Justin Lin. While most big Hollywood movies have a lot of time in pre-production to work out the script and big action set pieces, what’s pretty crazy about Star Trek Beyond is that once Lin signed on, he only had six months before he had to start shooting to make the release date. Considering almost everyone has positive things to say about the latest Star Trek movie, he deserves a ton of credit for making it all work.
During the interview, Lin talked about his first cut of the film, deleted scenes, what might be on the Blu-ray, if he’s playing Pokemon Go, his weird relationship with Star Wars, what he collects, video games, and a lot more.
As most of you know Star Trek Beyond finds the crew deep into their five-year mission, and brings Idris Elba into the fold as a villainous character, with Kingsman standout Sofia Boutella playing a new ally. Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto, Zoe Saldana, John Cho, and Anton Yelchin also star as director Justin Lin works from a script penned by Pegg and Doug Jung.
Check out the interview above and below you can find the official synopsis followed by some recent Star Trek links and exactly what we talked about.
“Star Trek Beyond,” the highly anticipated next installment in the globally popular Star Trek franchise, created by Gene Roddenberry and reintroduced by J.J. Abrams in 2009, returns with director Justin Lin (“The Fast and the Furious” franchise) at the helm of this epic voyage of the U.S.S. Enterprise and her intrepid crew. In “Beyond,” the Enterprise crew explores the furthest reaches of uncharted space, where they encounter a mysterious new enemy who puts them and everything the Federation stands for to the test.
- How after he signed on he was immediately on the film and shooting in six months.
- How long was his first cut? (2 hours 27 min)
- Will the Blu-ray include deleted scenes?
- What does he collect?
- Favorite video game system?
- Is he playing Pokemon Go?
- His weird relationship with Star Wars.
Here are some recent Star Trek links:
- J.J. Abrams on What He Collects, Favorite Video Game Systems, Supreme Leader Snoke and Pokemon Go
- Chris Pine and Zachary Quinto on What They Collect and If They’re Playing Pokemon Go
- Watch Simon Pegg and Karl Urban Try and Out-Franchise Each Other
- Watch: Simon Pegg Shares “Star Trek Bed, Bath & Beyond” Spoof Video