One of my favorite films at this year’s Toronto International Film Festival is Jason Bateman‘s directorial debut Bad Words. Andrew Dodge’s awesome script centers on a high-school drop-out (Bateman) who uses a loophole to compete in an 8th grade spelling bee, enraging teachers and parents alike, but befriending an awkward young contestant along the way. And while the film could easily be a family friendly, PG movie that plays it safe, I’m happy to report Bateman has crafted a wholly R-rated movie that’s loaded with inappropriate dialogue and hysterical situations. It also explains why Focus Features quickly snapped it up during an all night bidding war following the world premiere. Bad Words also stars Kathryn Hahn, Allison Janney, Ben Falcone, Philip Baker Hall and Rohan Chand.
The day after the premiere I got to sit down with Hahn for an extended video interview. She talked about what the last few years have been like, premiering at TIFF, making Bad Words, working with Nick Offerman in We’re the Millers, her experience on Ben Stiller‘s The Secret Life of Walter Mitty, working with Peter Bogdanovich on Squirrels to the Nuts and its great cameos, her Showtime pilot Trending Down with Philip Seymour Hoffman, and so much more. Hit the jump to watch.
And click here if you missed my exclusive video interview with Jason Bateman.
- 0:30 – Talks about seeing an increase in her roles after having kids.
- 1:00 – Comments on the track her career has taken so far.
- 1:45 – Talks about working with Nick Offerman in We’re the Millers.
- 2:25 – Talks about the difference between comedy shoots where breaking is allowed on set and where it’s not.
- 3:30 – Comments on Jason Bateman’s work in Bad Words.
- 5:00 – Reveals details on her character in the movie and how she interacts with Bateman’s character, plus how much was on the page versus how much was improvised.
- 5:55 – Talks about her experience screening the movie at the Toronto International Film Festival.
- 7:30 – Reacts to the bidding war over Bad Words.
- 9:00 – Talks about her experience on The Secret Life of Walter Mitty and the two worlds the film inhabits.
- 10:25 – Comments on working with Peter Bogdanovich on Squirrels to the Nuts, with crazy cameos from Tatum O’Neal and Michael Shannon.
- 12:00 – Talks more about working with Bogdanovich and getting over being star-struck.
- 12:45 – Reveals that she gets offers for roles, but it’s easier for her to just audition for the role rather than pitching a part to someone.