Another reboot, and another rumor. According to The Wrap, the Hunger Games‘ Liam Hemsworth is being considered as a potential candidate to lead the Independence Day sequel, the terribly named ID Forever (which is dangerously close to sounding like an off-brand clothing tag). 20th Century Fox has no comment on the casting at this time.
This is the first major casting news for ID Forever since rumors of Michael B. Jordan being considered for a role back in 2013. It also would appear that the movie is no longer being shot back-to-back as two films (Part One and Part Two), but has been scaled back. Probably a smart choice
Rumors aside, though, this is what we currently know for sure about the project:
- Several months ago, Carter Blanchard was brought in to write a new draft of the script, which was originally written by James Vanderbilt.
- Roland Emmerich has also been brought on to direct.
- Will Smith will not be part of the new film.
- Jeff Goldblum and Bill Pullman are “expected” to reprise their roles.
- There is a June 24, 2016 release date.
Stay tuned to Collider for any further updates on the Independence Day sequel, and more concrete casting news. Speaking of which, who would your ideal lead for the new movie be?